Sunday, November 25, 2012

Rhetorical Devices - Ads

Pathos (πάθος): Honestly, I could not find a better example of the rhetorical device pathos. Pathos means appealing to the emotions of the audience. I believe this one is the perfect example of this rhetorical device because the face of this little girl appeals to your emotions (at least it appealed to mine) by the way half of her face is severely destroyed. But you can see that that half of her face is made out of metal. It's a bit confusing at first but when you read the caption: "In town, car accidents don't just happen to cars. Slow down". You can understand know. The real message of this advertisement is for people to drive slowly because you can not only damage the well being of your car and the other person's car. But the lives of the people inside of those cars.




Ethos (ήθος): Not the one that I personally liked the most, but it is definitely a perfect example of the rhetorical device ethos. Ethos is used to appeal to credibility, and honestly, the best way to do that is using the modern "authority" to promote what you think is best. In this advertisement we can see a really pretty blonde (some people say that it's Taylor Swift but I'm not sure) promoting milk. When you see this advertisement it makes you want to drink milk. Many people say in their minds things like: "If she drinks that milk, why should I?!" even girls would say "If I drink that milk I'll be as pretty as her? Let's try! Also, the details of the glass breaking can indicate that the milk is so god that not even the glass can hold it.




Logos (λόγος): This last advertisement was one of the best I have seen so far regarding tobacco abuse. I don't know what part of this ad calls my attention the most. More importantly, this cannot be a better example of logos. It applies to logos primarily in two parts. The big and obvious one is the fact in small font that says: "About 106,000 people in the UK die each year because of smoking". This supports the ideas of logos because it is using actual facts to support their idea. The lesser way is the big title that says: "Smoking kills" because it is a more broad fact, but it has been proven that smoking kills. The thing that I like is the relationship that the creator found between the way that people hold cigarettes and making the shadow a gun. This sends a strong message, I will never smoke in my life!


1 comment: